The church was founded in 1827 and, in 1836, moved into its first building on Route 6A at the site of the current CVS store in the town center. But after only two years, it moved to the "new church" — its present location — at the corner of Route 28 and Main Street.
Over the years, the building was elevated to add a fellowship hall at ground level. The pews and pulpit swapped places, and the main entrance was moved. But every Sunday parishioners still worship under the steel ceiling donated 100 years ago by Sarah Doane and enjoy the 1898 stained glass window that remembers the Paine family, including Mary Paine Smith who was born in 1797, the year Orleans was incorporated as a town.